Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reads

I was going over some hands and I came across an interesting one where I made a move based off of a read. He was 73/28/1.1 over 125 hands. I had a note where I observed his min raise was weak in 3b pots.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($569)
SB ($430.10)
Hero ($837.60)
UTG ($400)
MP ($80)
CO ($400)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Ks, Kh.
1 fold, CO raises to $12, Button calls $12, 1 fold, BB raises to $56, 1 fold, Button calls $40.

Flop: ($122) 2c, 7h, As (3 players)
BB bets $84, Button raises to $168, BB raises to $869.6 (All-In), Button folds.

Final Pot: $243.60

Im happy the play worked well based off of my read. However, I do not think I maximized my value here. Without a draw in sight, I should have called the flop. I can check the turn and allow him to bluff again. Basically, instead of shoving the flop I should have check called this hand all the way down bc my hand is essentially a bluff catcher and it allows him to keep bluffing. On the flip side, he could be min raising A9-3 to see where hes at, but hes usually calling with those hands anyway. I played this hand awhile ago. If my memory serves me correctly (there's a good chance it isn't), he's not folding very many A's in this spot. I don't really have any conclusive remarks in regards to the feeler raise but I'm just trying to cover all the bases. Sorry if this was scattered. Just my thoughts as they came to me.

On another note, I arrived home last night from school for Thanksgiving Break. Home sweet home. Big plans this week. Lots of fun stuff going on and I am looking forward to it. On a sad note, I have a huge presentation on Monday when I get back. Ill be on my grind with that at some point in time this week. My school work is like a tsunami. It comes in huge waves. You see it coming, but you can't run or hide. It is not a pleasant experience. The month of November has been a continuous tsunami. From an optimistic point of view, its a pretty small price to pay considering the long-term benefits of a college education.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely understand your tsunami analogy, lol. When I was in school, there were about a good 5 semester sincluding graduate school, where I put in 16-20 hours days at least 5 days a week, often every single day. It sucks, but hey, now I have a great job that I thoroughly enjoy, an amazing wife, our first house, and two relatively new vehicles. I can't ask for more. It will be worth it without question down the road.

On the poker note, that is an interesting read. Your perceptiveness in that hand is pretty amazing and it is cool you followed your read and that it worked. In reading your blog and Martin's and Jason's, I gain a ton of good knowledge that I am trying to apply to my own game.

Enjoy your holiday!

Malfaire said...

Wise man once told me: DO WORK, SON.

I expect details.

Greg Slaughter said...

Keep up the good winrate at 400NL. You got the right guy to help you IMO!!!