Sunday, January 27, 2008

Balance

As the stakes increase, the opponents get better. Great players are great hand readers. They are also good at deception. A great player thinks, "What range of hands am I representing?" Based off of my opponents perceived range, I have been thinking about different ways to maximize the value of my hands by maintaining balance. When someone makes a bet into me, its often either a bluff or a strong made hand. This type of player is easier to play against than someone who balances their range. I want my opponents to believe that I could conceivably have a weak, marginal, or very strong hand in any given situation. This makes things difficult for great hand readers.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (5 handed)

MP ($359)
Button ($1898.25)
SB ($594)
BB ($952)
Hero ($639)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Ac, Kd.
Hero raises to $21, 2 folds, SB calls $18, 1 fold.
SB is an excellent player with a very solid style.
Flop: ($48) 6c, 6h, Ah (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.
By betting this flop, Im getting value from AJ, AQ, and some flush draws. However, against this particular opponent, Id estimate that he isnt cold calling with those hands very often. AQ most likely three bets and AJ probably calls here about 60% of the time while three betting the other 40%. As I stated before, villain is very solid, so I didnt give much merit to a flush draw because I don't think he's playing too many suited connectors out of position against a MP open raise. If I were to bet here, I would be representing TP or air. However, once I check, I'm representing a decent hand with showdown value. My perceived range is something like 99-KK.
Turn: ($48) 3d (2 players)
SB bets $30, Hero calls $30.
As with most poker decisions, I have three options: fold, call, or raise. Folding obviously has no merit. Most players will lead out on the turn after checking the flop behind. Many players interpret the flop check as, "Okay, you can have it." I could raise him here, but I'm trying to represent a decent hand that I simply want to get to showdown - call.
River: ($108) 7h (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $60, SB raises to $202, Hero calls $142.
Once he checks to me, I make a small bet attempting to make it look like a thin VB with TT-KK. Considering the range that Im representing, I thought that this would be a good time for villain to c/r, even before he did it to me. He tanked and c/r. I thought for 3 seconds and called.
Final Pot: $512
Results in white below:
Hero has Ac Kd (two pair, aces and sixes). SB has Ts Td (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $512.

I have fun playing against good players because it allows me to manipulate them. In poker, it is my goal to win the battle of mistakes. I want to make less mistakes than my opponents. However, I am willing to make a potential small mistake by not protecting against a flush draw or getting full value from AQ in order to possibly induce an even larger mistake on my opponent's behalf.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Dice, I always enjoy your blog! Chad "ornycjv"

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dice, for posting not just your hand but also your thoughts in such detail. It's a great way to learn, or at least to understand what Holdem can be.

mongoose said...

just stopping by for the first time. i like the HH w/analysis format.

nice post.