Sunday, February 3, 2008

Movin' on up

On Friday night I accomplished my long-term goal of making it to 5-10. Hopefully things go well for the next few weeks so I can make it my regular game. For now it will be my regular game, but if I start to see alot of red on my bottom line then I'll take precationary measures and drop back to 3-6. 5-10 is alot of fun. Dodgy was right when he said that adjusting to 5-10 is a somewhat smooth transition. Well, so far its been a smooth transition. Hopefully I wont have to eat my words (knock on wood).

Its kind of surreal that Im at 5-10. I started playing cash games in July with a 1k roll at .25-.50. As I got more involved with cash games, my ultimate goal was to establish myself at 5-10. It took me 7 months and I averaged about 20k hands a month. Either quality over quantity or Im a luck sack. Probably because Im a luck sack. My latest move up feels just like any other move up. Sure, it was exciting for the first thousand hands or so, but I feel pretty comfortable already. It usually took me several weeks to feel comfortable at a limit. However, I was able to anticipate some of the intangibles of moving up. For example, the increase in money can cause people to play suboptimally. 5-10 is simple though, because I just think in terms of big blinds rather than actual money. I never doubted that I would be able to make it to 5-10, but it was something that I thought would come after a considerable amount of time and experience.

I want to put in alot of hands this month. The past few months have been hectic and I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like. Im also going to start playing heads up. Adapting to opponent specific tendencies is a necessity at 5-10. Heads up will allow me to develop those skills even further. Also, with my wrestling background, I think I have a good mindset for one-on-one sports.

10 comments:

Noel said...

Dude I am so stoked. The UF2B is like so no more 2B. We all have moved up two stakes or more since the start and are well on our way to owning. I would say luck sack has nothing to do with your success but rather hard work and dedication as well as a super genius poker mind. Keep it up.

DODGYKEN said...

It's nothing to do with lucksack Dice. I think that 5/10 is going to be an awesome limit for you as it suits your thinking/style so well.

Unknown said...

Great job Dice. It is good to see all your hard work paying off.

M0NIKER said...

Congrats Dice... you and Dodgy are great inspiration for us still stuck at the lower limits looking to work our way up. Best of luck up there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 5-10. I am totally envious but I know you worked and are still working very hard. I unfortunately am still stuck at 50 nl. Good luck at the new level.

LuckySOB said...

Congrats Dice. No luck involved here.

Malfaire said...

Dice, you are a sick, sick man. Congrats, sir. Very proud of you.

Marc said...

Dice, I agree with the other comments; I don't think there is much luck involved (other than maybe avoiding bad luck)...your understanding of and approach to the game is awesome. Congratulations!

Dice said...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, nice win for your Blue Devils dude, always nice to beat UNC!