Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Apologies and a Game Plan

I apologize for my last post. I was pretty pissed about my recent failures but blaming it on running bad is simply an excuse. Ive always held true to the quote, "If you cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Its one of my all time favorites - haha. It can be used in so many different contexts, but Ill leave it to poker. I know the variance is crazy at 5-10. I voluntarily play it knowing the above. There is no reason to complain, because variance at this limit should not be a surprise to me at this point. The heat is variance and the kitchen is 5-10.

Ive been studying poker a little more in depth and I realize that there are definitely some things I need to integrate into my game. I need to better adapt to opponent specific tendencies. Not obvious ones like opponents three betting like crazy, but little ones like assessing an opponents range when he cbets a flop. Most players will cbet with TP+ or air, while checking back marginal hands with showdown value. Some will simply check behind with air occasionally, while cbetting everything else. Poker is a game of impartial imformation. The more information we can accurately take from our opponents; the closer to optimal poker we can play. This is just one example of the things I am looking to improve upon.

After watching Townsend's latest series on CR, I realize I am a long ways off to being an elite player in those games. If you havent watched it yet, it is an unbelievably eye opening series to anyone looking to make an impact at the higher limit games. I am going to cut my tables down to three in order to establish reads and practice adapting to opponents based on my reads. As I get better and feel more comfortable, Ill add more tables. While I do believe I could currently sustain a decent win rate in the 5-10 games, there is still much, much more room for improvement. In the meantime Ill be playing 3-6 where Im going to try to learn some of the intracies of the game.

Tonight was my turn to play for the weekly UF2B group sweat. I posted some hands on our blog. Check them out and holler if you have any questions or comments.

1 comment:

Malfaire said...

My feelings are still hurt, so I'm not talking to you. JK.

It's only human to have our moments of weakness -- don't be so hard on yourself. I know you're a forward looking person, but take solace in the fact that you've come a long way in a short time.