Sunday, February 17, 2008

Not Winning

Weird. Had my biggest day (5k) and biggest losing day (5.5k- today) within the same weekend. From today, I lost a total of $6.2k with QQ+ and AK alone. I misplayed two hands and it cost me. Anytime I play 5-10, I get murked. I understand the variance is crazy. Ive experienced it first hand. I crush 3-6 and lose it all at 5-10. Its been a constant cycle. After my third unsuccessful attempt to transition to 5-10, Im inclined to say that Im simply going to stay at 3-6 and 2-4 exclusively. However, I can be a winner in the 5-10 games. Not to sound cliche, but if I ran close to expectation, 5-10 would be my normal game for good. Its sucks to invest so much time and effort yet consistently fail. Im typically not a negative person, and it takes alot to make me feel this beaten down. When the money goes in and Im good, I almost expect to get sucked out on. I despise of this negative mentality, but when it happens over and over again Icannot help but expect to worst.




This year has sucked. Hopefully the poker gods have some better things in store for me. 2008 so far:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stay positive Dice. It will be all the sweeter when you finally transition to 5/10 for good.

Anonymous said...

Hi mate, I enjoy reading your blog. I suppose I am in a similar situation but at a lower level. I am struggling to consolidate myself at 2/4 whereas I comfortably beat 1/2.

Do you feel that as you have risen up the stakes very quickly considering the time and hands you have played, you have not fully felt the effects of variance? I'm sure had I ran better in an earlier run at 2/4 then I would be in a different position than I am now.

Also, you do not need be fixed to a particular level. There are many midstakes players that play anywhere between 2/4 and 5/10 depending on which games are good. Good luck anyways, I'm sure you'll run good at 5/10 soon.

Dice said...

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your comment. Ive seen variance in action. I experienced a very rough patch for about two months while I was at 100nl. I was practically break even but that was only bc there were still plenty of fish to go around. In retrospect, this year has been the first time Ive experienced significant downswings. Im working on detaching mysaelf from it, but its tough bc Im 21 and I have always worked very hard for my money. Losing 5k in one night? It used to take me two summers of full time work to earn that haha. But this is the game I choose to play, so I must become very accustomed to losing significant amounts of money. Best of luck with your transition, as well.