Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Movin' On Up

Hands: 546
Amount Won: $35.45
BB/100: 3.25

Tonight was my first night play 100nl. I felt I played very well for the first 1.5 hours but had to call it quits about 15 minutes later. I was up $430 at that point but within 15 minutes I lost 300 bb pot with AA vs KQ on a K84 board against a maniac- rivered a K. Minutes late I proceeded to lose when I got it in on the turn (250 bb) with the nut straight and villain boated on river. Admitting, these two hands rattled me and I felt that I was not capable of playing my A game after that point. The play at 100nl is noticeably better, but still not good. Solid opponents have wide ranges, especially when they are 3 bet and call in position. Granted, I only played ~550 hands but this observation was quite clear. Im happy that I had the self control to step away once I knew I wasnt playing at 100%. I wanted to continue to play but I could feel the tilt fever coming on.

Hand 1: http://www.pokerhand.org/?1274704
Villain is 24/21/5.4 over 75 hands. Ultra aggro. Main issue in the hand was my thin river call. I figured I would c/c river knowing that he knows I cant call here w/o a K. That combined with the immediate odds allowed me to justify a thin/ probably bad river call.

3 comments:

DODGYKEN said...

I don't think you played this badly at all. Sometimes I'd bet the turn here but I think checking in position is better - I'd be more inclined to bet when out of position. One of the benefits of checking behind on the turn is that it induces a bluff so I think calling the river is OK. Having said that, his bet size does look like a value bet so I think a fold would be OK - a call here is OK too though in my opinion.

Noel said...

It is almost a forced call as you have checked behind on the turn and he knows you bet a straight there. He often bluffs here with QJ and under pairs. Good call and nice catch for him. The key thing to take away from this hand is you made the right play on the turn. You checked behind keeping the pot small and giving yourself a chance to fill up cheaply. Excellent display of pot control and good turn discipline. As for the badbeats they happen. Congrats on the move and kepp doing what you are doing.

DWarrior said...

I guess I'd call the river, that seems like a spot I ran into a lot back when I tried to move up. Also, people 3-bet me soooooooo much it was crazy, I think 6-tabling I was facing a 3-bet every other hand somewhere.