Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Interesting Hand

Played 2.5k hands last night. I was satisfied with my play, but not overly excited about it. Called some large bets in marginal spots. A large bet is the most telling piece of information in no limit hold em . Even though a particular holding may not seem likely, a big bet should merit serious consideration.

Here is the hand from the other day that I said I would post along with my thought process.

Background info: BU is 23/20/5.6 and is a thinking slightly LAG opponent with a 41% Att. to Steal Blinds. The SB was a donk playing 51/0/.8. Since I had been on the loose passive donk's left, I was quite active.

MP ($204.30)
CO ($238.70)
Button ($216.25)
SB ($442.35)
Hero ($197)
UTG ($463.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Td, 8s.
3 folds, Button raises to $7, SB calls $6, BB raises to $30, Button calls $21, SB folds.

Standard button open by him and also a standard call by SB donk. Perfect spot to squeeze. Button flats my squeeze. He knows this is an ideal spot for me to squeeze and I figured he was looking to play a big pot in position against me b/c he knows I have a wide range.

Flop: ($65) Ks, Ac, 6h (2 players)
BB bets $40, Button raises to $80, BB raises to $209 (All-In), Button folds.

I follow up the flop with the aggression I had shown preflop. He min raises me. I'm was about to fold, but instead I decided to play poker and start running through his course of action and the hands he representing. I know that he knows I have a wide range here. I started going through his range for this flop min raise. AA has the deck crushed so he would flat my flop bet. KK could milk my AQ-J by also flatting the flop or he could simply shove if he thinks Im going all the way with an A. AK certainly didn't fit the mold bc against a wide range, why would he want to take a flop with it? That would be bad play, and I know as a LAGGY opponent he's 4 betting AK in that spot every time. It took me some time to deduce this, and I knew that if I shoved, he'd have excellent odds for a call. I was very confident with my read when I shoved (I had to be with those odds) but I must admit I was nervous. It was one hell of a rush, though. When he folded, it was an amazing feeling. It was reminiscent of the feeling I would get from winning a big match. A fleeting moment, indeed, but it was a great feeling when he folded.

Final Pot: $96

I finished up 3.5 BI over the course of last night. I am half way to my 10k BR goal after one week. 6.8ptbb/100 over 11.6k hands this week while 6-8 tabling. Tedious table selection has been key. On another note, I won a new 80 GB laptop through CR's promotional giveaway. LOL I couldn't believe it. I am in dire need of a new computer. I guess I'm lucky and this is a sign of good things to come?