Wednesday, October 24, 2007

No Play?

I spent yesterday writing and revising a case study on Marvel Enterprise. My assignment was to establish two ways in which Marvel could sustain long-term profitability. Their main problem was that the majority of their profits have come from their most well-known characters, such as Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk. The services of these characters have been exhausted. Marvel obviously cannot live off of these characters forever. I could go on forever about this (5 pages to be exact, lol) but I'll spare you before I get carried away. I think it turned out well, though.

At night, I spent some time with my best friend at school. He's a member of the lacrosse team and has 7am practice every morning Mon-Sat, but not on Wednesday's. I know, 7am isnt that bad, but for us college bums that is rough. We pretty much just kicked it and shot the shit for a few hours. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Yesterday I did a little bit of hand analysis and alot of reflection on my game. The reflection was key. I am aiming for consistency. Every time I think about "consistency", it elicits a response from my mind and body. In respect to poker, this response is playing my TAG game which is meant to be profitable at small stakes over a large sample of hands. I have placed a Post-It directly under my monitor with one word on it - consistency.

Long-term goals are very important. My goal of a 10k BR is a long-term goal. It is a destination. Something to work towards. Many people set high long-term goals but fail to reach them. Some may use the excuse that their goal was simply not attainable, which could actually be legitimate. Aim high, but the goal should be a mature one within reason. Here's the beef of the story. Yeah, I want a 10k BR. Ok, cool - GL! Many people will leave their goal setting at that. This is the primary reason as to why they do not achieve their long-term goals. So how do you do it? Pretty simple answer - short-term goals! In wrestling I wanted to become a state champion (long-term goal). My short-term goal was to not leave the wrestling room until I felt like I could only crawl out on my hands and knees. Obviously implying that I worked my ass off each day to the point where I could no longer stand. Another everyday example: You get in your car at 9am to drive to work. You just go to work? No, you turn left at this street, go through a light, and make a right at that street. The turns are all short-term goals which allow you to accomplish your long-term goal of arriving at work. My short-term goal with poker is to play consistently. This does not mean play the same way every single hand I'm in. There has to be a slight inherent randomness to my game, otherwise I'll be exploitable by good players. Consistently playing MY game will allow me to reach me goal of a 10k BR. Accomplishing short-term goals allow you to ultimately achieve your long-term goals. This rant has concluded. Good day sirs and GL- Dice

2 comments:

Malfaire said...

Interesting. Reminds me of Pharma companies having this same problem. I'd imagine that they could aggressively go after movie rights / IP for other comic books. That would be a tough negotiation from their side, but at least they have a proven track record for financial success.

Good post. I need to small chunk my monthly goals into weekly ones. However, I think breaking down into daily goals isn't the way to go for such an activity -- good to know a number in the back of your head, but there's too much variance to hold yourself entirely accountable for daily performance (e.g. if you do so and then go on a bad streak, you risk giving up because you don't envision success).

http://www.topachievement.com/smart.html

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely

Anonymous said...

Good post Dice. Did you ever reach your goal of becoming a state champion? I know you go to Duke and thought you wrestled there before you got hurt, could be wrong. Did you go to high school in North Carolina, or are you out-of-state? Good luck at the tables, looking forward to your next blog entry.